The Phalén Picnic 2019
Since 1970, philosophers from Åbo Akademi University and Uppsala University have gathered regularly, often yearly, for seminars and philosophical discussion, alternating between Åbo (Turku) and Uppsala. This year we will gather in Uppsala.
We are happy to have Olli Lagerspetz from Åbo in Uppsala for the entire spring semester and the Phalén Picnic will be held at his work place, Swedish Collegium for Advanced Studies (SCAS).
Date, Venue, and Attendance
Friday, May 10, 2019
Swedish Collegium for Advanced Studies (SCAS), situated in the Botanical Gardens. The seminar will be held in the Thunberg Lecture Hall and we will have breakfast and coffee in Prefektvillan.
If you are at Uppsala University (Department of Philosophy, SCAS or elsewhere) you need to report your participation before 29th of April to Elinor Hållén. Please let us know if you are unable to attend parts of the symposium and also if you will or will not join in the food and socializing activities in the evening. If you will attend and have food restrictions, tell us.
08:30 - 09:30 BREAKFAST (Prefektvillan)
- 09:30 - 10:30 Erik Hallstensson “Rawls Reads Wittgenstein: Language Games and Disagreement”
- 10:45 - 11:45 Salla Peltonen "Queer love, literature and philosophy: Reading The Argonauts"
12:00 - 13:30 LUNCH (Matikum)
- 13:30 - 14:30 Lovisa Andén “Truth and Thruthfulness in Gulag Memoirs”
- 14:45 - 15:45 Kasper Kristensen: “Vulnerabilities in Spinoza’s Ethics and Politics”
16:00 - 16:30 COFFEE (Prefektvillan)
- 16:30 - 17:30 Ryan Manhire: "Having a Rough Story about What Moral Certainty Isn’t"
18:00 Food & socializing. Place not yet specified.
The event is organized by the Department of Philosophy, Uppsala University, and SCAS.
Contact: Elinor Hållén